Monday, September 5, 2016

The Challenge to Become

So I am still doing great (: Yes we had transfers two weeks ago and yes Hna. Arce and I are still together working hard in Sullana, but it does have a lot of sun so it can be Solana ahahhaha. I love Hna. Arce and we are growing closer together. She teaches me so much. Im pretty sure that I will finish my mission here in Sulana. I'm happy it's a huge area with so much potential still and lots of good members to work with. 

This week we decided to challenge our Ward Council to "Hold to the Rod"

21 And it came to pass that they did speak unto me again, saying: What meaneth this thing which our father saw in a dream? What meaneth the tree which he saw?
22And I said unto them: It was a representation of the tree of life.
 23 And they said unto me: What meaneth the rod of iron which our father saw, that led to the tree?
 24 And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.
We read in 1 Nephi 15  that we are all working to obtain eternal life, but to get there we need to hold fast to the word of God, constantly reading each day. We gifted each member of our ward council with a little grey tube with the words "The Word of God" written on it. They were challenged to carry their tube, wherever they went, keeping in mind that they must always read the word of God and remember it and carry it with them. We have found several members of the council waving us their little tubes in the street. (: (i must thank an amazing seminary teacher for this great idea) hahaha 
I have seen the blessings, and consequencs that come from reading and not reading scriptures daily. They truly can carry us" beyond this vale of sorrow" and to each of our promised lands. Mom, you are very right, in that reading daily is a step of faith. So is Sunday observance! We make a promise to every new investigator, that if they read their scriptures and pray to know they are true daily and attend church, within three weeks they will not only receive their answer but they will fell sure and ready to be baptized and Ive seen it and know it is true.  
Sometimes people don't act because of fear, fear of the unknown, or sometimes because they truly forget. We, as missionaries, and the members must do everything in our power to help them create these new habits and keep them. Signs in the room, sticky notes, phone calls, visits, anything and everything! 
I've seen in myself what an increase of faith can do. Faith to contact the person that looks busy or faith to wake up "one more time" at 630 or faith to take off running to our room to be home by 930 ahhaha. Faith that moves us to act leaves us with the security and peace that the Lord offers. That way when he comes, we will not fear, "for we shall see him as he is, for we shall be like him". He is full of peace and love and truth, because He always obeys and acts with faith. 
This week my study was focused on a talk that Elder Tanuvasa (Pepe) sent me, called "The Challenge to Become". This gospel and the principles therein are to help mold and make us like Jesus Christ, not just fill us with good information. One of the ways we can verify if we are changing is through making and keeping sacred covenants. This week I took the time to study each part of the baptismal covenants we make and I saw how I could BECOME more like my Savior and God as I keep his commandments, take his name upon me and always remember him. What a blessing it is to make and keep sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father. I invite each one of you to evaluate the covenants you have made and see what more you can to do. I love this gospel. God is so merciful and so full of justice. He is perfect an He sent His perfect Son to die for us. Through Christ, all of us can be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. Thanks be to God as He has restored these ordinances through His prophet Joseph Smith and that Thomas S. Monson continues to hold the keys and authority to bless and help us return to live with God. 
I love and miss you all(: Pray for Victoria! We are hoping to have her baptism this upcoming week!!!! Love and miss you all! 
Hermana Tanuvasa 

No comments:

Post a Comment